Friday 6 May 2011

My Bike - Scott Aspect 45

,
Hi Guys,

Thought I'd post a bit about the bike I ride. I have a Scott Aspect 45 from the good ol' year of 2008. When it was stock it had a Suntour fork and an Alivio eight speed drive train. The forks didn't last long. After a month or so of riding they had seized up. I took it back to the bike shop and explained what had happened. They were good guys and put a pair of the same on straight away! After another month of riding the same thing had happened so I took it back again and they fitted a pair of fairly basic Rockshox Dart 2's (This was my third fork in under a year!). I had never used Rockshox before but I was already feeling the benefits over those dreaded Suntour's. I must have run these forks for around a year but I was beginning to feel the limits of what they could take. In the end I payed a bit more and opted for a Rockshox Tora 318 Air which is lasting me ages! I've got to say, it can deal with most things I throw at it.

After the forks, I upgraded components as they wore out. the next things to be upgraded were wheels and drive train. I replaced the wheels with a pair of Shimano MT15 wheels which I also rate very highly, they have come out of true a few times but they offer a good compromise between weight and strength for the £89.99 I payed for them. The gearing is a mix of Shimano Deore, Deore XT and Sram PG950 and PC951 for the chain and cassette.

Overall I am now very happy with the bike and what it can handle. After experiencing how different the bike can feel with altered components I am a strong believer in customisation because it allows you to style it to your type of riding.

Anyway here's few pictures of what I've just been talking about.

Built up and ready to hit the trails ;)

On it's homemade work stand :)
One Sexy box of bike components! :D

8 comments to “My Bike - Scott Aspect 45”

  • 22 May 2011 at 23:13
    Tone says:

    Love your bike!

  • 8 June 2011 at 11:50
    Anonymous says:

    That looks really nice, I've got the same bike but not looking as good. I really like those red tirewalls. How easy was it to upgrade the forks - mine seem wanting after three years and I'm after some decent upgrades?

    Cheers.

  • 8 June 2011 at 18:49
    Unknown says:

    Thanks for the comments! :)

    The forks are not that hard to upgrade to be honest. The main things to look out for when looking for a new pair are:

    Steerer tube length (make sure it is long enough for your frame.)

    Brake type (PM type if you've kept the original brakes although you can get various adapters)

    Axle type (QR if you're using the standard wheels)

    Suspension travel (100mm suits the geometry of the bike)

    I would recommend a pair of RockShox Tora's because they are a good upgrade from the originals and are not too expensive. After a year of hard riding mine are going in to have a service. There is nothing really wrong with them they are just slightly less smooth than when new and I want to keep them running well for a good few years.

  • 4 January 2021 at 06:08
    John smith says:

    It's very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post! bicycle wheel

  • 6 October 2021 at 09:01

    I was reading your article and wondered if you had considered creating an ebook on this subject.Your writing would sell it fast.You have a lot of writing talent. Portia Antonia Alexis Economics

  • 20 October 2021 at 20:13

    Thank you for some other informative website. The place else may just I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I have a venture that I am simply now running on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info. 컴퓨터수리

  • 28 October 2021 at 13:03

    I was reading your article and wondered if you had considered creating an ebook on this subject.Your writing would sell it fast.You have a lot of writing talent. Private Equity

  • 3 November 2021 at 02:00

    This is an awesome motivating article.I am practically satisfied with your great work.You put truly extremely supportive data. Keep it up. Morocco

Post a Comment