Friday 13 May 2011

So, I went for a run.....

,
Last night at around 8PM I decided to go for a run. I have done this a few times in the past but never very often. I don't really know why I went but I just had an urge to get out of the house as I'd been sat in all day doing bugger all. My plan was to take the main path up to Roseberry topping. I set off walking up until I was out of sight (I don't feel comfortable jogging or running in public, don't know why.)

As I approached the path leading to the shooting hut. I heard some chanting and slurred voices. I wasn't really listening that carefully because I had my earphones in but as I got closer it was louder and louder. I turned round the corner and saw a large group of townies. I don't mean to stereotype but when they've got bottles of cheep cider in their hands and they're chanting you can tell they're townies.

I took the scenic route and ran round the other side of Roseberry Topping to avoid the crowd. As I got nearer to the top I could see some people in front of me heading the same way, I couldn't see very clearly because it was getting darker. When I reached the top I stopped for a moment to catch my breath only to see a group of about four or five townies chanting and walking towards me. I was getting serious bad vibes so decided to sprint down the opposite side of the topping. I almost sprained both ankles running down the rocky stepped path. as I got nearer to the bottom and away from the townies I started to feel really tired so I slowed down my pace.

As I was running down the farm track and back into Great Ayton I was listening to some music and got a bit of a shock when I saw a ghostly figure riding a quad bike towards me. For a moment I felt quite scared but as he approached I realized it was the farmer who was going to round up the townies and clear them from his land. I reached the road. By this point I really was out of it. it was approaching 10PM. I carried on and after a about 10 minutes I was home. I swear I'll never go on a run again. It was so painful, boring and meaningless. I don't understand why people do regularly it when cycling and mountain biking is so much more fun!

3 comments to “So, I went for a run.....”

  • 16 May 2011 at 18:18
    trailsnet says:

    I much prefer riding my bike on trails, too... but I must admit, sometimes I miss my ol' running days. Unfortunately, my feet much prefer biking, so I'll stick to it.
    By the way, what is a "townie?" That's a new phrase/word for me. Judging by the context in your blog post, it's not a good thing.
    Thanks for the fun story.

  • 16 May 2011 at 18:45
    Unknown says:

    A townie is just a slang term for someone who lives in a town or city and generally just causes havoc. See here: www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=townie

    I think cycling is a more smooth motion which is better for the knees I suppose. Maybe it's because I don't do it often enough that I ache after.

  • 22 May 2011 at 23:19
    Tone says:

    I'm not much of a biker, but from our conversation in college I think I might give it a try and get a bike.

Post a Comment